Given that light-bulbs (even smart ones) don't have a standard user interface, then it is reasonable to ask how can details like your WiFi network SSID and password be conveyed to the LiFx smart-bulb that is acting as the WiFi bridge. When the LiFx master smart-bulb is first turned on ... it configures its WiFi module in ad-hoc mode with a known SSID and you connect your mobile device to that network, as follows ...
- Download the LiFx App onto your mobile device
- Install and turn on the LiFx master smart-bulb (contains the WiFi bridge)
- Change your mobile device WiFi settings to connect to the ad-hoc wireless network called “LiFx”
- Start the LiFx App on your mobile device and wait for it to connect to the master smart-bulb
- Enter your WiFi network SSID and password and press the [Configure] button
- The master smart-bulb will then connect to your WiFi network
- Close the LiFx App on your mobile device
- Change your mobile device WiFi settings to connect to your WiFi network
- Restart the LiFx app on your mobile device
- Install and turn on any slave smart-bulbs
- The slave smart-bulbs will discover the master smart-bulb
- Your LiFx smart-bulbs are now ready for action !
- How is the ad-hoc network connection secured, so that my WiFi password isn't exposed ?
- What are the details of the slave smart-bulbs discovering the master smart-bulb ?
- If my neighbor also has LiFx ... what stops my slave smart-bulb connected to their network ?
- What if I want to move some smart-bulbs to another location ... how do I reconfigure ?
Thanks for all your questions and feedback ... you are certainly keeping us on our toes !